Welcome to Your Place


Welcome to your home for next academic year. As a student property specialist, our aim is to be accessible and efficient, offering excellent levels of service and guidance.  We take pride in our properties and we want your time there to be enjoyable and problem free. This guide has been put together to make moving into your property easy and manageable, ensuring you are settled and ready to enjoy the year as swiftly as possible.


For all aspects of your tenancy, from rent, to bills, to repairs and maintenance, we appreciate that it is you who is living in the property, it is your home and it is you, as a responsible adult, who we should communicate with. Therefore, as we value you not only as a tenant, but also as an adult, we have a company policy to communicate directly with you as a signatory of the tenancy agreement, as opposed to third parties such as parents etc.



Office Contact Details


Address – 162-164 Smithdown Road, Liverpool, L15 3JR

Telephone - 0151 733 7888



Opening Hours - Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm (Except Bank Holidays)



Important Contact Details


General Info/ Correspondence


Rent Enquiries


Maintenance Issues


Gas & Electric top up requests


Broadband/Wi Fi enquiries


Police (non-emergency)


Crime Stoppers

0800 555 111

Victim Support

0845 303 0900


0845 790 9090

Gas Emergency - National Grid

0800 111 999

Electrical Emergency - National Grid

0800 404 090

Water Emergency - United Utilities

0345 672 3723

Liverpool Direct (City Council)

0151 233 3069

Mersey travel

0151 227 5181



Legal Stuff



Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement (AST)


Before you move into your new property you will be required to sign an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement (AST).  This will include details of all the parties involved, the date of the contract i.e., the start date of the tenancy, and will also include the rent details, when rent is due and how it is to be paid, for example by standing order.


The AST also includes the full set of agreed terms and covers all aspects of the tenancy, including details on the use of the property, maintenance and rent. It is highly recommended that these terms are read thoroughly as the conditions laid out in the tenancy agreement are legally binding. AST contracts are held by Your Place Limited and a copy can be requested at any time.


Lead Tenant


It is the practice of the company to assign a lead tenant to each property who will be responsible for communicating information to the other housemates where necessary. The lead tenant is selected by the housemates themselves and must provide an email address and mobile phone number for this purpose.


Joint Obligation


It is worth remembering that everyone on the tenancy is jointly and severally liable for each other. The term ‘jointly and severally liable’ refers to an agreement in which each tenant on the contract takes responsibility not only for themselves, but for all other parties named on the contract. Each tenant must have a guarantor and, in the unlikely event that neither the tenant nor its guarantor settles the sums owed to Your Place, the other tenants (and therefore their guarantors) on the contract could become liable. For example, if someone fails to pay his or her rent or pay for damages to, or outstanding charges on, the property, Your Place may by the terms of the tenancy agreement pursue the other tenants for payment.  Joint and several liabilities are enforced by the courts.


Responsibility as a resident


While Wavertree & Kensington are popular student areas, many residents include families and professionals. We ask that during your time living in the area, you respect your neighbours, and recognise that their lifestyles may be different to yours as students.


Noise nuisance and anti-social behaviour from students are among the main concerns of local residents. Be aware that if reported to the council or police, such behaviour can result in university sanctions as well as possible legal action we are also required to take action to minimise anti-social behaviour which can ultimately mean you can be evicted in very severe situations.


As such, please keep noise to a minimum, especially when returning home late at night. This includes speaking quietly, as well as not playing loud music. Please also respect the area by not littering, keeping your wheelie bins off the roadside, and generally taking care of your surrounding environment. For more information on what can happen, please ask us for a copy of our Anti-Social Behaviour Policy.


We recommend that you introduce yourselves to your neighbours at the beginning of the year. This not only has benefits for you in terms of security, but it also lends itself to better community relations.




Smoking within your property is forbidden as stated in your tenancy agreement. Smoking in your back yard is not prohibited but you should give thought at all times about the dangers of fire and the potential costs for damage to property such as burnt carpets and furniture. The fire alarm should not sound due to normal cigarette smoke and it is risking yours and the lives of others to disable the smoke alarm system.




Each tenant will be allocated one set of keys for the property. This will include a front door key and a bedroom key as necessary. If a replacement key is required due to loss, please report this via email and you will be told how much this will be to replace. Costs are dependent on the type of key, as exampled below.

  • Standard Keys: A 10 fee will be charged per key
  • Garrison Keys: A 30 fee will be charged per key




Visits to the property can be undertaken by Your Place at any time throughout the year for reasons such as performing general maintenance or showing potential new tenants around the property. You will be advised of any visit via email and/or SMS at least 24 hours in advance. You do not need to be present when a visit occurs unless specifically requested.




Student properties are very common targets for opportunist burglaries. A few simple precautions can help keep your belongings safe and make it too much trouble for anyone trying to break in.

  • Please ensure the front & back doors are double locked - if applicable.
  • If you have a UPVC multi-point locking door, make sure you lift the handle, turn the key and remove it.
  • Please ensure all doors & windows are locked - this would include bedroom doors.
  • Check the front and back doors are secure, even when someone is in the property.
  • If you are not in your room or you leave the property, then remember to keep your windows closed and locked.
  • If you have a burglar alarm, make sure it is switched on when you go out. If you do not know your code, it can be obtained from the office.
  • Avoid leaving expensive equipment in places that can be seen easily from the window. It is each tenant's responsibility to make sure that the house is secure.
  • Do not give access to the property or your personal details to sales people or canvassers. If you are unsure please contact our office as we will always provide you with notice if a member of staff or an external contractor will be visiting the property.

While these precautions will help keep intruders out, it’s a good idea to remember that you may need to get out quickly in case of fire. For this reason, you should make sure that your key is in a place that can be reached easily by the door but can’t be seen by anyone who might want to use it to get in from the outside. It is unadvisable to keep keys in the locks.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding security, Community Support officers are available. The local neighbourhood team can be contacted in a non-emergency by calling 101, or emailing Ward.F.Greenbank@merseyside.police.uk

In the event of an emergency, such as a burglary, always call 999. Should a lock or window have been broken etc., remember that you can contact the office by emailing repairs@yourplaceuk.com or call the Out of Hours Emergency contact number on 07885 503 609 (Evenings & Weekends only).



Rent Payments


Your rent will be paid in one of two ways, monthly or termly, and will be explained and agreed when you first sign the tenancy agreement. For any enquiries please email in to rent@yourplaceuk.com for further details.


How to pay


The standard way of paying your rent is to set up a standing order with your bank you can set up the standing order by completing and taking the form provided to you upon your signing your tenancy agreement to your bank or via internet banking, authorising them to pay YourPlace the agreed fee on the required days with the correct reference. Please note we do not take card or cash payments and all payments are to be sent to the account below, clearly stating your initials and property reference which you can find on the standing order form you were sent when you signed your tenancy agreement. Please do not put "RENT" as the reference as we receive many rent payments and this makes it difficult to allocate the payment to the correct rent account.


It is your responsibility to make sure that the standing order is set up correctly with your bank to ensure payment is received on time.


Alternatively, if you are having problems with your rent you can also contact us directly by emailing rent@yourplaceuk.com to discuss alternative methods of payments.


If for any reason you are unhappy with the standard of the property it is important to note that legally you don't have the right to withhold rent and you shouldn't do this to try to force the situation. Withholding rent could lead to legal action against you for rent arrears.



All repairs must be reported via email to repairs@yourplaceuk.com. Once a repair has been reported, the issue is relayed to the Landlord immediately who will either arrange the repair or provide approval for Your Place to arrange the repair on their behalf.


If an issue is reported to Your Place via telephone, you would still be required to email in stating the property address in the subject heading. Please put as much information / detail in the email as it allows Your Place to diagnose the fault, allocate the repair allowing the Landlord to action the repair much sooner. We also advise taking photos to enable the repairs team to assess the issue prior to visiting.



  • Any major repairs – Please allocate one person in the house to ‘take charge’ and email in so there is no confusion between multiple emails.
  • Repairs will be dealt with in order of urgency – The aim is to deal with any urgent / emergency issues within 24 hours [wherever possible].
  • Appliance break down or blockage – Prior to reporting an issue with an appliance, please ensure filters [where applicable] are clear, Fridge Freezers are defrosted [if necessary] and that there is credit on the meter [if you have pre-pay meters]. If the Landlord arranges a repair and finds the issue to be caused by one of the above, there may be a call out charge.
  • Electric tripping – The most often cause of this would be a faulty appliance / item. Before reporting the issue, please check nothing new has been plugged in, if it has, please remove it from the sockets and flip the trip switches to their usual position.
  • If the appliance has been provided by the Landlord, this will be repaired / replaced. If it is an electrical issue, again, this will be rectified by the Landlord. For properties with pre-pay meters, please check there is sufficient credit on the meter before reporting the issue.
  • Blocked sink / toilet / bath or shower [internally] – Blockages caused by a build up of hair or from foreign items is the tenants responsibility. Please ensure the drains / waste traps are free from such objects, eliminating the chances of such issues arising.
  • Blocked drains [externally] – Please ensure the drains are free from leaves and similar objects. Should the drains become blocked as a result of this, the tenants may be liable for a charge. Please keep an eye on the drains through the duration of the tenancy.
  • Waste Removal / Bins – It is tenant(s) responsibility to ensure all rubbish is bagged and disposed of correctly. Please ensure the correct rubbish is placed in the correct bin. A sheet with information regarding collection dates etc is included within the handbook.


Key Replacements


  • Lost keys are the tenant’s responsibility and tenant(s) will be liable for ALL associated costs.
  • If you are locked out during office hours and require to be given access to the property you will be charged a 15.00 call out charge.


Smoke Alarms and Carbon Monoxide Alarms

  • Tenant(s) shall be responsible for the general maintenance of the smoke alarm(s) and carbon monoxide alarms if they are battery operated. If the alarm cannot be reached, please email the repairs@... Email address and you will be advised.
  • If the smoke alarm(s) and carbon monoxide alarms are mains powered and an issue occurs, please report this immediately to the repairs@... Email address.
  • Any faults or problems with the alarms are to be reported to Your Place as soon as possible.



  • The definition of an emergency is an event which puts you or the property in danger of harm or seriously hinders your ability to live in the property, and one which under no circumstances could wait until Your Place Limited reopen if the event occurs outside normal working hours.
  • Gas Leaks; If tenants(s) smell gas, contact National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999. This service is free and they will have an engineer out to the property as soon as possible.
  • An out of hours emergency contact sheet has been included within the handbook, please refer to this if an emergency occurs outside of Your Place’s opening hours.


If you have any further queries regarding maintenance, please do not hesitate to contact Your Place via email or via telephone on the addresses / number provided within the contact sheet, included within the handbook.




The utility bills for your new property are covered in your rent payments, however there will be times when you will need to top up the credit on your gas/electricity meters. To request a fuel payment, please email bills@yourplaceuk.com stating your name, property address, amount required and your bank account details.


Requesting a top up by email helps to keep clear written records and minimises misunderstandings and confusion regarding remaining tenant credit allowance. Please remember that any request for top ups can take up to 24 hours to be processed, therefore we suggest regularly monitoring your credit and always keeping a minimum of £10 on each meter.


If you run out of credit over the weekend we would suggest you top up using your own money and request the credit back on the following Monday.


Credit / Quarterly Meter


If your property has credit / quarterly meters we require a reading of each meter to be sent in to bills@yourplaceuk.com on the 1st of every month. All bills from the gas/electrical company that have been sent directly to the property must be passed in to our office as soon as possible so payment can be arranged.


Pre-Pay Meters


If your property has pre-pay gas/electricity meters these will need to be “topped up” before use. To top up you must email in to bills@yourplaceuk.com between the hours of 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday quoting your bank account and sort code numbers in order to request credit of up to £100 from your pre-agreed tenant allowance. To add the requested credit please take your gas card / electric key to any retail outlet which displays the Payzone sign.


Smart Meters


If your property has SMART pre-pay gas/electricity meters these will need to be “topped up” before use in exactly same way as the pre-pay meters. To top up you must email in to bills@yourplaceuk.com between the hours of 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday quoting your property address, bank account and sort code numbers in order to request credit of up to £100 from your pre-agreed tenant fuel allowance. To add the requested credit please take your gas card / electric key to any retail outlet which displays the Payzone sign.


Please familiarise yourself with the smart monitor and meters as if you allow them to run out of credit, you will be responsible for any losses due to not having sufficient power to the property.


To reset a meter after it has run out you will need to follow the on-screen instructions. For the Gas you will need to Press the B button twice and then as above. If we are required to send a Heating Engineer to reset the boiler due to the meter running out of credit you will be charged - Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm 30.00 or Out of Hours (Weekends and evenings) 70.00.


TV Licence


If your rental package does not include one and you bring any TV receiving equipment into the property, you will be required to obtain a TV licence (one for the house, not one per room) - this includes things such as TV receiver cards in PCs & laptops. You can buy a TV licence by calling 0844 800 6716. This area is monitored very tightly due to the student demographic and TV licensing officers will call at the property during the autumn if the house does not have a licence.




ALL broadband issues are to be reported to broadband@yourplaceuk.com. Should your service be interrupted for any reason that is not directly responsible by the Agency or Landlord, you will not be reimbursed for loss of service or slower speeds.


Be aware that at peak times speeds of connection will vary. This will also be dependent on how you connect to your service and how many devices are connected at any one time. Your Place will not be responsible for the speeds of connection.


You will be required to return any broadband routers/boosters in the same condition in which they were issued. All hardware including cables and filters must be accounted for and in full working order. Failure to do so will result in a charge from the supplier.


General Information




It is important to ensure that the property is kept clean throughout your tenancy to prevent Pest Control issues.


  • It is a necessary requirement that all residents keep food/household waste in cupboards and bins. We request this to avoid pest/health issues which are prevalent in multi resident premises when people think someone else will clean up each night.
  • Rats, mice, flies and a multitude of unwanted pests thrive in dirty conditions which will then bring health issues.
  • Please help us, and your cohabiters to stay safe by ensuring your rooms and kitchens are clear of overnight pest food.


Your household waste will be collected using your purple (general waste) bin and blue (recycling) bin (if applicable). Remember that if a blue bin is contaminated with non-recyclable waste then the council may not empty it, and there may be a charge for an external company to do so. For bin collection dates and further information, please refer to the bin collection sheet attached or visit http://liverpool.gov.uk/bins-and-recycling/bin-collection-dates-and-times/

Should you need replacement or extra wheelie bins/ recycling bags then Liverpool City Council will provide you with these at a cost and make arrangements with you about delivery. Liverpool Direct will also provide you with an alley gate key should you need one. Please note that the council charge £6 for an alley gate key.

You can contact Liverpool Direct on 0151 233 3069 to make any such arrangements.

Gardens / Windows


Please remember it is the responsibility of the tenant to maintain the front/back garden/yard of their property during their tenancy. It is also the responsibility of the tenant to regularly clean the inside of the windows where practical and safe to do so.




We ask that you do not leave a kitchen appliance on overnight. Dishwashers, washing machines and tumble dryers are some of the biggest causes of house fires in the UK. The reason for yearly Portable Appliance Test (PAT) carried out on all appliances is to reduce the risk of electrical faults

which may lead to a fire, although this does not completely eliminate the risk. Please make sure to only have big kitchen appliances running while you are aware of them in the property.






It is a legal requirement for all property owners/ Landlords to have buildings insurance which will cover the overall structure of the property to include the roof and walls. It is important for you to understand the difference between building and content insurance and what is and is not covered.


Building Insurance


Buildings insurance covers the structure of the property only and does not cover the contents of a property.


Please note: If a disaster occurs that results in the property becoming uninhabitable, e.g. flood or fire, we will aim to put you in a different property of a similar standard and size, keeping the rent the same as in your contract. If no such property is available, we are able to cancel your contract and refund you any rent you may have already paid in anticipation of your stay.



Fire and Electrical Safety

Fire Laws and Requirements
Smoke Detection
Electrical Safety
Gas Safety

Fire and Electrical Safety Advice for Students

With the many exciting distractions of life in a student property, fire and electrical safety are unlikely to feature high on the list of priorities. However, it is vital that certain safety standards are upheld.

Laws Ensuring Tenant Safety

Fire and electrical safety is a major issue in private rented accommodation, so much so that the government has gone to the trouble of publishing laws to protect tenants.

The laws that affect student residents depend on the number of people residing in, and the size of the property.

To stay on the right side the law, the landlord of a licensable HMO property must provide:

  • Automatic fire alarm and detection system
  • Firefighting equipment
  • Safe electrical installation
  • Emergency lighting.

Smoke Detection


Interlinked mains powered battery backup smoke detectors

This is the best type of system for a student property, it requires minimum maintenance and causes less false alarms than a Fire panel system. You will see a smoke alarm in communal areas and in some cases, you may have a smoke detector in your bedrooms as well. These smoke alarms are interlinked which means if one was to be activated then the others would sound as well giving early warning to all areas of the property. These alarms also have a battery backup in case of electrical failure which can happen during a fire, which will allow the alarms to continue sounding.


Under no circumstances should you remove a smoke alarm from its base as this could compromise the integrity of the early warning system and put yours and the lives of your housemates at risk. There is a charge for tampering with any fire alarm equipment and will incur a charge including that of materials and the electrician’s labour.



Door Safety


In accordance with the HMO Licensing regulations, the landlord should also have paid particular attention to the doors in the property. All internal doors, apart from the bathroom, should have automatic door closers, and be tight fitting with strips around the edges. If thought has been given to the privacy of residents and locks have been fitted on bedroom doors then there should be a thumb turn lock, to enable inhabitants to exit quickly in an emergency. For the same reason the front door may have a thumb turn lock.


Electrical Safety


The original electrical safety test certificate issued by a recognised qualified engineer will be available in the office and a copy will be available upon request. The appliances themselves should display PAT test stickers that provide 12 months’ safety notice. Residents should maintain their own electrical safety standards by not plugging too many appliances to one socket and minimising the use of long extension leads.


Gas Safety


The original and current gas safety test certificate issued by a recognised qualified engineer will be on display in the property and a copy is available upon request.


Resident Responsibility


The fire and electrical safety of a student house is not entirely the responsibility of the landlord. They may have been following the necessary guidelines in making sure their property is safe but their efforts can be easily compromised by irresponsible resident behaviour.


First and foremost, tenants should not do anything to impede the implementation and operation of these safety measures.


High spirits are no excuse for tampering with any fire extinguishers or the smoke detector heads. These things are provided to help save the lives of the occupants in the event of a fire. Tenants are also advised not to block any main house thoroughfares, such as the landing or hallway, or negate the effectiveness of the door safety features by propping open bedroom doors or disconnecting the automatic door closers.


Fire Drill


Tenants should always develop a home fire escape plan and carry out a fire drill twice yearly, so you do not become complacent to the risk of a fire.

  1. Familiarise yourselves with the layout of your house
  2. Decide on all potential safe emergency exits including windows
  3. Decide if any of your house mates will need help to escape and plan how
  4. Choose a meeting place outside
  5. Call the emergency services from outside the building
  6. Practice your escape


In the event of a small controllable fire such as a waste paper bin or frying pan, if you are comfortable doing so, a fire blanket can be used to smother flames or a small fire extinguisher will work well if you read the instructions and familiarise yourselves with the correct use of your particular extinguisher. This will more often than not be a multipurpose single use extinguisher and you will find instructions on the body of the appliance.


In all cases of fire – no matter how small you should inform repairs@yourplaceuk.com for us to ascertain if any hidden damage has been caused which may be a hazard in the future.


Combustible items and rubbish


You should not create a fire hazard by storing rubbish or combustible items either inside or outside the property.


Moving Out


At the end of your tenancy we expect the property to be returned to us clean and all tenants belongings and rubbish removed.


You will also need to make sure that the fridges and freezers are cleaned and defrosted and left open and unplugged. Ovens / grills should be cleaned thoroughly and left open, along with the insides of cupboards and drawers.


Please do not leave any rubbish behind. Please also do not contaminate your recycling bin with other rubbish, as this will not be collected by the council, meaning that we will then have to organise alternative waste removal. Anything left after your tenancy has finished, or after the keys have been returned to us by all tenants, will be disposed of in this way and may incur a fee.


It is important to note that you will be charged an additional fee if the property is not returned in good, clean, empty condition, reasonable wear and tear excluded.



The standard opening times for Your Place Limited are as follows:


Mon - Fri: 9.00am - 5.00pm
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed
Bank Holidays: Closed


Your Place (Out of Hours) Emergency Call Out - 07885 503 609


  • Electrical fault
  • Emergency Plumbing
  • Leaks
  • Locksmith
  • Break ins
  • Lost Keys
  • Broken window

Please note, that the above number is for Emergency use only, and tenants are reminded that they should only contact the Emergency - Out of Hours team in the case of a genuine emergency, i.e. when the issue cannot be resolved during the standard hours of opening. In the event that this is deemed not to be the case and the matter could have waited to be reported during normal working hours, i.e. when an emergency repair is not justified, you may be directly liable for all associated costs.


Tenants must inform Your Place Limited, through repairs@yourplaceuk.com, of any situation for which emergency services have been utilised. If you are liable for any call out cost, you will be invoiced on the next working day.


Please note that the standard out of hours call out charge is 70.00



Please see below for what is classed as an emergency.




  • If the leak is a small drip and manageable until such a time that Your Place are open, this wouldn't be classed as an emergency.
  • If the leak is of a serious nature [heavy downpour through a ceiling or similar] this would be classed as an emergency



  • If you have lost your key or have misplaced it, this is the tenant's responsibility and any costs would need to be met by the tenant.
  • If the lock becomes faulty whilst we are closed, this would be the Landlords responsibility and costs for any associated works would be reimbursed upon proof of receipt along with a detailed explanation from the company.



  • If the electric in the property shuts down, it is vital to ensure all trip switches are up and there is credit on the meter. If a trip switch is down, it is likely a new appliance / item has been plugged in. You are required to check before calling an electrician.
  • If the electrics have tripped due to a faulty appliance which we have provided, this is the Landlords responsibility and costs for any associated works would be reimbursed upon proof of receipt along with a detailed explanation from the electrician.
  • If you can smell burning coming from an electrical wire or something similar, we would advise contacting an electrician who will undertake the necessary works. Once the exact fault has been identified and reported to Your Place, we can then assess whether reimbursement will be made.



  • If you can smell gas, please contact National Gas Emergency Service who will undertake works free of charge.
  • If there is a fault with the boiler preventing you from utilising the central heating or hot water, this would not be classed as an emergency and would be rectified during Your Place opening hours.

If you have no gas and electric due to having no credit on the prepay meters you will be charged for the call out and any other associated costs with reinstating the boiler etc.



Rightmove Students
Safe Agent
Member of The Property Ombudsman Scheme